Dude: (all excited) So I ran my bike today after we put it all back together. We got the bike on the bike stand, changed the front and back brake pads, put on the tack and spedometer on the custom 2' risers, installed the oil tank, battery, the front and rear fender and the newly painted gas tank. We had to put the Harley oil in in order to get the old gummy oil out that was left in there. ( I hear the Charlie Brown teacher voice...wah whahh waaahhh...coming from the dudes mouth )
Me: (trying to sound interested and like I'm understanding) Yah? How'd it sound?
Dude: It sounded great for the first 10 minutes and then there was a sound. A loud rattle and metal slapping noise.
uh oh. ( I have not heard said sound, but from the expression on the Dudes face I know it looks like it's gonna cost money to fix that sound )
Me: (chachingchaching $$$ chaching ) Like a bike sound? A big sound? What kind of sound?
Dude: Metal. (death, monotone voice) A loud rattle and metal slapping noise. Like a rocker arm slapping a valve. But if the valve was stuck, it means I put the engine back together wrong. But that would have happened right away when I did it. Or a bent push rod. But if I did that wrong then that would have bent right away. Or a tappet. And the spark plugs were a nice cinnamon brown. So that rules that out.
Me: Oh. I'm sorry. I don't understand what you just said but it sounds bad.
Quiet one: (who did not even seem to be listening to this conversation) Ummm...dad, was it a ping or a knock?
Stunned silence. And then....
hysterical laughter.
He is so smart.
3 comments:
So where's the finished project? I think all your loyal followers/readers would like to see how the bike looks when it was completed.
It is also interesting to see that "Quiet one" understood the conversation as opposed to only hearing "Wah wahh waaahhhh" ;)
I can't absorb all of those intricate details that the "Dude" was explaining. It's my downfall not his. hehehe :) I don't get the visual in my mind. He clearly has a better frame of reference than I do! Obviously, Quiet One has inherited by osmosis, the mechanical frame of reference. :)
They would have been in heaven here in Port Dover for Friday the 13th. It was a cold day, but they figure we still had over 70,000 biker enthusiasts show up. We expect over 200k during the July event. Vroom vroom.
Post a Comment