Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Winter Solstice



I love this time of year.

I savour the time of the earth having it's rest. The whole process of rest, rejuvination, building up the stores to bloom and busy again. Over the years of watching the cycle in nature I also see the cycle in myself and my family. In the summer, we are all over the place with different activities. Some times, even when we are together, and supposedly relaxing, we're doing the stuff of life and living. Learning and growing.

But I bask in the time leading up to the winter solstice. I love the feeling of all of us being cozy in the house. Hibernating for winter. Time to rest and give my body a reprive after a busy summer and fall. I love going to bed at night with my mohair bunky and my book.

Now as much I love it.... I miss the sun. When I wake up in the morning it's dark. My kids are walking to school when it's dusk. You get home from work and you've only got an hour to go tobogganning. And it's cloudy and dull. As we get closer to the solstice I love staying in my bed in the morning. I don't want to get out. I want to stay and revel in narcoleptic slumber. I'm nappy and my creativity sucks.

The solstice is a week and two days away. I can't wait. I want to go for a night walk. Walk through the woods or marsh under the moon light. Drink some chaud chocolate and chat about the stars. Listen to the still. As much as I love the rest, it's time to get out of bed and hopefully get under the sun with a couple of sun dogs on either side. Get some serious snow happening. (and a couple of snow days *smile*).

Soon it will be the time of Crackling cold. The time of the year when I start saying, "Takayaw anohc".

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Little Chickpea, I'm so happy to have discovered your blog! Another Canadian looking forward to the winter solstice, how awesome is that? Of course, I don't experience it quite the way you do on Vancouver Island, we're very spoiled here but I'll be in Ontario when it happens.

Nice to meet you!

Ms. Wilderness said...

What a gorgeous entry, my friend.

The Intolerant One said...

(sniffle) But I can't ride my motorcycle when there is all that bad white stuff! :(

Ms. Wilderness said...

Intolerant - turn that muffler down!

The Intolerant One said...

Muffler? On a motorcycle? That's blasphemy!!!

Ms. Wilderness said...

What??? I can't hear you, your motorcycle is tooo loud!!

The Intolerant One said...

(proud beaming smile)Thanks Bones! You really know how to flatter a guy ;)

Anonymous said...

This about the winter solstic, let's get it together.

Ever awsome blog entry. It's like I know you from you writing and love you already.

Little Chickpea said...

Thanks for the compliment anonymous!